September 23, 2008

Brew Review: Trappistes Rochefort 8

This is a classic "trappist" ale brewed by monks in Belgium, classified as a "Belgian Strong Dark Ale" by Beer Advocate. Real time tasting notes follow.

The 11.2 oz bottle was poured into my brand new Brewer's Art chalice. If you've been to BA, you know how cool these glasses are. This thing is murky and dark, more brown than black. Not much head retention. I poured way too strong so there's tons of "floaties" which are spent yeast that a more skilled pour would leave at the bottom of the bottle. Oh well.

I'm getting coffee and dark roasted malt in the nose. Not my favorite beer aroma ever but I like to try as much as I can from each style. Lots of carbonation here as the head recedes, lots of bubble action. A bit of candi sugar in the nose too, I wasn't expecting that.

First sip: suitable. Really easygoing, I was expecting more of an alcohol bite (this is listed at 9.2% ABV). Nice little numbness on the tip of the tongue (that almost always happens to me with these trappist beers). I taste a little red grape, perhaps. Overall this is pleasantly mild, way better than I assumed given the BSDA assignment. I can see why this is up there as a 4.31/5 on Beer Advocate.

There's a little bite to the mouthfeel, which would be off-putting and work against the mouthfeel scores, but I was expecting worse so that's worth balancing expectation and mostly enjoyable delivery.

Complaints? Not many. It wouldn't really be to style but I always love a bit more candi sugar sweetness, but seeing as how this doesn't have a syrupy, alcohol-y body like I expected I can easily do without.

This is a great, relaxed drinking beer more meant for home than at a loud bar. I wouldn't quite call it outstanding, but it does surprise and offer a great nose, a good body, a decent amount of complexity, a light sweetness and lots of malt body without being syrupy or too high in alcohol punch. Definitely lots going on with the malt base as this warms up a bit, a bit more roasty and coarse.

No comments: