October 7, 2008

Frederick, The Beer Town

Sort of old news, but I recently found this entry on a beer blog called Hop Talk. The June 2007 issue of Beer Advocate Magazine named "Nine Great Beer Towns You Didn't Know Were Great Beer Towns".

No. 4? Frederick, Maryland.

The combined Flying Dog and Wild Goose operations are headquartered there, as well as Brewer's Alley and Barley and Hops. I'm at a loss for what else is out there, but it's nice recognition for Frederick which is just a bit out of the way for most of us in the Baltimore metropolitan area.

I neglected to stop in at Brewers Alley or Barley and Hops in my last visit to Frederick, but I did dine downtown not far from the Alley and had one of their beers at the tapas restaurant. I also visited the Flying Dog Brewery (of which I need to write a review at some point on here). Hopefully those places hint at more "on the way" as far as breweries and brewpubs.

Does anyone know of any other beer stops in Frederick? I don't have a copy of the magazine so I'm not sure what else they mentioned other than those three places.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The article only mentioned those three places. For such a small town, it's quite a lot of beery goodness. Not to mention that F.O.A.M. is one of the biggest homebrew clubs in the state.

Ye Olde Spirit Shoppe on 7th Street also has quite a nice selection of crafts.